Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Tuesday, March 13, 2018

T-Square -- Circuit no Hourousha(サーキットの放浪者)




And here I thought that the fusion band T-Square (formerly The Square) had that one amazing F-1 racing theme under their collective belt. Yup, "Truth" spoke truth to power.


Then I found out that T-Square had come out with another groovy racing number. This would be "Circuit no Hourousha" (Circuit Wanderer) by pianist Hirotaka Izumi(和泉宏隆)and drummer Hiroyuki Noritake(則竹裕之). Whereas "Truth" might be the band's melodic herald of "Gentlemen, please start your engines", I think "Circuit no Hourousha" is the cool prelude of the big race with all of the drivers, technicians, owners making preparations, although the listener will hear the cars zipping by at one point in the song.

Love the horns and the synthesizer having their friendly battle in the song. I wouldn't mind hearing this at Suzuka if I were to ever visit that track. I don't know whether "Circuit no Hourousha" ever made it onto any of T-Square's original albums but it was included in a collaboration album titled "F-1 GRAND PRIX WORLD" which was released back in February 1992.


The synthesizer riff from "Circuit no Hourousha" was given the Vaporwave treatment through Macross 82-99's "Horsey" featuring Sarah Bonito. It's included on his 2014 album "A Million Miles Away". Listening to this number, I kinda thought that this would make for background music for some futuristic setting much more cheerful that the one in "Blade Runner".

4 comments:

  1. Hi, J-Canuck.

    What an incredible instrumental tune we have here... I was positively surprised after listening to it for the first time, and it's already in my playlist (I had to put it next to some of my favorite summery Hikaru GENJI songs, but that's not a problem).

    One thing I've noticed is how it kinda resembles video game music from the 90s, but a lot richer in comparison, of course. The synths are great, but this time the horns won me over easily, since they make me feel pleasant and in a strange tropical mood (it don't even make a lot of sense, but that's what I imagine).

    Thanks a lot for this discovery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always a pleasure, Marcos!

      Speaking of video game music, wouldn't "Circuit no Hourousha" be perfect for one of those racing games? It so easily evokes the excitement of an F1 race in a luxurious place such as Monte Carlo. Amazing those horns!

      I really have to thank the producers of the anime "Hibike! Euphonium" since they incorporated "Rydeen" from YMO and "Takarajima" by T-Square into the high school band's repertoire, and now viewers have been scrambling to search for them. And that's how I discovered "Circuit no Hourousha".

      Delete
  2. Hi, J-Canuck!

    This is such a timely piece for me to read and listen to, since it’s **drum roll** F1 season opening day!!

    The upbeat music certainly conjures vivid images of the excitement and anticipation over an F1 race weekend with the intensity of the activities cranking up right to the start of the roar of the engines.

    Since this music was released in the early 90s, I guess it was written during the period in the late 80s/early 90s when Honda was all conquering with their V10 engines powering the drives of the great Senna and Prost. The screaming of the engines from yesteryears in the music is a great highlight and really reminds of what is missing from the current V6 hybrid engine formula which just doesn’t give that ear-splitting wail which was so much a part of the thrill of hearing and feeling these beasts as they thunder towards you on the track.

    You are so right that this will be the music to listen to at Suzuka. The track, the fans and the atmosphere at that grand classic circuit is simply amazing, and listening to this soundtrack while walking about the circuit will be the perfect way to soak in all the special vibe that is unique to Suzuka.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Francium!

      Ah, you are an F1 fan? I don't get to see it all that often but when I do, it's pretty darn exciting. I think T-Square has provided some nice backing music for all of the racing. That unique sound of theirs has pegged the band as the ultimate group to pen F-1 melodies.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.