Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Toko Furuuchi -- OK, OK


On the night of Hump Day, it is nice to have something like this ballad to listen to, especially when I actually got hit with a lot of work from earlier this morning...the first time in several weeks, actually. I do like my translating but after several hours, it is also nice to be able to call it a day.


Well, time for some mellowness then. It has been a while since I put up a Toko Furuuchi(古内東子)song so it's great to hear her caramel voice once more. This time around, I'm writing about "OK, OK", a track from her 11th studio album, "Futsu no Koto"(フツウのこと)which was released in March 2004. It's not quite an R&B ballad to me although I feel some soul in there. Furuuchi has created a nice languid pop song for the night.

Furuuchi's lyrics talk about a woman's feelings of regret and sadness after that last big fight with her boyfriend which was punctuated by a slammed car door on her part. The days and nights have passed without any word from him so she's now starting to get worried whether she will ever hear his apparent catchphrase of "OK, OK" again. I wouldn't say that it's a tragic song at all since it's not known what the ultimate fate of the relationship is. It's more melancholy perhaps with a light at the end of the tunnel.

"Futsu no Koto" was able to get as high as No. 45 on Oricon.

I have to give my kudos to the fellow who crafted the video of those city nights in Tokyo and Yokohama. However, I don't think I really needed the abrupt sound effects of the helicopter and the like.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.