Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Denki Groove -- Mononoke Dance (モノノケダンス)


Up to tonight, I would have proudly said that my favourite Denki Groove(電気グルーヴ)song was "Nijuu-ichi Seiki mo Motetakute"(21世紀もモテたくて). The techno mashup of Seiko Matsuda's(松田聖子)"Tenshi no Wink"(天使のウィンク)and CCB's "Romantic ga Tomaranai"(Romanticが止まらない)from 2001 was epic genius.

But then I came across this little gem by Takkyu Ishino(石野卓球)and Pierre Taki(ピエール瀧)that came out as their 13th single on Valentine's Day 2008, "Mononoke Dance" (Spectre Dance). It was used as the opening theme for the 2008 late-night version of the classic anime "Ge Ge Ge no Kitaro"(ゲゲゲの鬼太郎)on Fuji-TV under its different title of "Hakaba Kitaro"(墓場鬼太郎...Kitaro of the Graveyard). It's the first time in a long time that I watched a YouTube video on first look three times in a row since I was so attracted to the opening credits of the show. It's cool, sultry and driven.


The above is the album version (excerpt only) of "Mononoke Dance" that was included on the band's 9th album "J-POP" from April 2008. However, I think the short and sweet version used in the anime is tighter and better. The single peaked at No. 17 while the album broke the Top 10 at No. 9. Now, that I've heard "Mononoke Dance", I gotta make a decision.

For the original and more famous theme for "Ge Ge Ge no Kitaro", have a look here.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.