Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Maaya Uchida -- Mivv♡Dream (ミヴ♡ドリーム)


The above photo is of the 2nd soundtrack to "Active Raid" which has just completed its second season. My anime buddy and I got to see both seasons and they were pretty entertaining although of course, my friend understood the lingo much better than I could. It did remind me a lot of a past anime, "Patlabor" which also had its mix of mecha, drama, comedy, and political intrigue surrounding a put-upon military unit. I think the Japanese have an even greater love for the underdog than Canadians or Americans.

Now, the opening and ending themes for both seasons have yet to really grow on me. They were the usual guitar-and-synth numbers that my buddy enjoyed enough to get the actual singles along with the soundtracks but I don't think they have really clicked with me.


However, there was one song that was performed in one episode of Season 2 that got attention from the two of us. Episode 5 involved the sister of the leader of Unit 8 and a buddy attending a concert of a school chum who became an aidoru of a special type.

I figure that even now in the relatively new glammed-up Akihabara or Kabukicho, there is probably a live house that actually holds rather bizarre concerts for the otaku crowd. So, seeing Hinata and her friend watching young Mivv make her entrance over the backs of moaning topless otaku guys got a few chuckles from us. But hearing her spout out punk lyrics in the voice of Seiko Matsuda(松田聖子)to a 1980s aidoru melody had us going "Ohhhhhhhhhhhkkkkkkkaaaaayyyyyyyyy..."

And what was hilarious was that it was seiyuu Maaya Uchida(内田真礼)playing Mivv. My friend has the full song "Mivv♡Dream" on the 2nd soundtrack. Now, what she sings won't exactly astound David Mamet fans; to wit, the only English profanity that is in the song is "Kiss my ass" and "Sonovabitch" which is now considered acceptable swearing in prime time shows here in North America. Still, this is Uchida that I'm talking about and in the past few years that I've gotten back to anime, I've known the seiyuu for playing the timid types such as Sharo in "Gochuumon wa Usagi desu ka?"(ご注文はうさぎですか?)and out-there Rikka from "Chūnibyō demo Koi ga Shitai!"(中二病でも恋がしたい!). So, hearing her exhort her audience to tear out their innards in that sweet voice of hers was a fun thing to watch. The lyrics, by the way, were written by Naruhisa Arakawa(荒川稔久)while the happy melody was the responsibility of Sadahiro Nakano(中野定博). My respects to them for channeling the music of my youth.

If only there were an R-rated version...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.