Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, November 7, 2014

Kahoru Kohiruimaki -- City Hunter: Ai yo Kienai de (愛よ消えないで)



"City Hunter" was an anime that I did hear about from time to time and I did see a couple of episodes somewhere. My particular memory of that show involved the two strapping leads, Ryo Saeba and Kaori Makimura, and the running gag in the form of a 100-tonne mallet. I just read the summary of this 80s classic on Wikipedia and I'm wondering if I should give it another chance.

Definitely the first opening theme for "City Hunter" makes for a nice draw. "Ai yo Kienai de" (Don't Go Away, Love) was sung by Kahoru Kohiruimaki(小比類巻かほる)as her 5th single from May 1987, and it followed her breakthrough hit, "Hold On Me". There's something about the anison right from the percussive intro and into Kohhy's delivery that has me thinking that this was just as much a love call to Bubble Era Tokyo as it was an exciting theme song for the City Hunter detective team. I automatically think of night lights, West Shinjuku's mighty skyscrapers, and folks painting the town red. If anyone wants to get that "City Hunter" feeling, try walking through West Shinjuku at sunset or night.


"Ai yo Kienai de" managed to get as high as No. 8 on Oricon, and according to the comments I've read on YouTube, it looks like the song has become a beloved musical memory to many. Kohhy's good buddy Yoshiaki Ohuchi(大内義昭)was the composer with Keiko Aso(麻生圭子)providing the lyrics.


Many years later, the singer came up with an even more groovelicious version (although I miss the original intro). Kohhy is still looking pretty darn good in the video there.

P.S. Marcos V. took care of the ending theme for the anime, "Get Wild" by TM Network.


4 comments:

  1. Fantastic song, loved it before I even knew the show. I still need to watch it, but have been procrastinating due to the overwhelming episode count.

    I recently got a copy of her '86 album "No Problem" based solely on good faith knowing how good Ai yo Kienai de is:

    http://i.minus.com/ibos9QM5RPszHA.JPG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, kyonplam. Good to meet you. Yeah, although I've been a Kohhy fan basically since she became famous for "Hold On Me", I only recently came across "Ai yo Kienai de". Well, better late than never.

      I also have "No Problem". She looked rather adorable in that soldier's uniform. :)

      Delete
  2. Hi, J-Canuck.

    I don't know how, but I never heard of this girl before. And what a shame. She's great. I just loved "Ai yo Kienai de", and the new disco recording is a very cool alternative version. I think I'll have some fun with her 80s albums for the next hours (I'm already playing "No Problem" here, and it's not disappointing at all. Pretty good synthpop stuff).

    Thank god it's Sunday and I don't have nothing to do besides listening to J-Pop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, Marcos. By all means, explore the discography of Kohhy. She has made some fun music with that smooth and velvety voice of hers.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.